The sixth season of CBS's American version of Big Brother consisted of
thirty episodes which aired from July 7 to September 20, 2005. It was
again hosted by Julie Chen.
This was the first season to be filmed in the newly remodeled Big
Brother house, located in a CBS sound stage.
The seasons twist was that each houseguest was secretly partnered with
another houseguest (totaling seven pairs) they had known prior to entering
the Big Brother house. These partners played the game as individuals, but
if both managed to make it to the final two, the winner would receive $1
million while the runner up would receive $250,000. The final partner to
be broken up was Ivette Corredero and Beau Beasley who had managed to make
it to the final six together. This season's winner was Maggie Ausburn, who
defeated her close ally and friend Ivette Corredero by a 4-3 jury vote.
The rules remaining mostly the same as in previous seasons, but this
season contained twists that CBS dubbed the "Summer of Secrets".
The main twist that was each HouseGuest had a secret partner, who they
already knew in the real world, a fact that they must keep a secret.
Initially, each secret pair thought that they were the only secret pair.
If both members of a secret pair reached the final two, the game's winner
would receive a prize of $1 million, while the runner-up would receive
$250,000. The secret pairs were as follows:
twist occurred when the America's Choice Poll allowed the public to vote
on which evicted HouseGuest would return back into the game. While Kaysar
returned back into house after being evicted, he wasn't actually the first
to do as Amy from Big Brother 3 had also returned to the house (but not in
a public vote).
* The season was known for having the most bitterly divided house in
the show's history, with more animosity among the HouseGuests than ever
before. The first alliance was known as "The Friendship" to its
members but as the "Nerd Herd" to its enemies. Its members were
April, Jennifer, Beau, Ivette, Maggie, and Eric. They remained largely
intact until the final days when Ivette finally expressed doubts at having
stuck with them for so long. The other alliance in the house was the
"Sovereign Six", whose members were Kaysar (the group's
founder), Janelle, Rachel, Howie, James and Sarah. This alliance was not
as firm in its solidarity, however, as Howie, James and Rachel had all
voted to evict Kaysar, and Janelle had also voted to evict James. After
James had been caught playing both sides, Howie nominated James and his
partner Sarah, leading to further fall outs within the group.
* Revealed by Julie Chen on the first episode of the next season,
members of "The Friendship" alliance had the "lowest
popularity scores in Big Brother history"
* Among the most explosive moments occurred in the second week. Eric
and Michael had to be physically restrained from fighting in the backyard
after Eric accused Michael of threatening his family and Michael called
Eric a "midget". The same day, Kaysar and Ivette came close to a
physical confrontation as well after he felt she insulted his beliefs. Big
Brother had to intervene over the loudspeakers and give warnings to the
* The Sovereign Six alliance were infuriated by Jennifer when Kaysar
had allowed her to win an endurance Head of Household competition after
she had promised him, in tears, that he would be safe from eviction.
However, when nominee Rachel won the POV and used it on herself, Jennifer
broke her promise and not only nominated Kaysar for eviction, but
successfully organized her alliance to vote him out.
* In the season's only actual physical confrontation, during week seven
Janelle and Beau had a catfight after getting drunk from cocktails
provided from a food reward. The fight included scratches, pushing and
poking, and after it was broken up it continued with name calling that
included Janelle calling Beau a "gold-digging whore," and Beau
labeling Janelle a "polyester hair bitch."
* In week 6, Howie went on a 48-hour rampage against April, insulting
her incessantly, calling her "Busto" (insulting her breast
implants), and insulting her dog and husband.
* At the end of week 7, Janelle won Head of Household going into a
double eviction week. After immediately nominating Jennifer and Maggie for
eviction, she left them and taunted, "Bye bye, bitches!" while
the show went out live.
April Lewis (born July 29, 1974, from Dallas, Texas). Her secret
partner was Jennifer. She finished in fourth place, being evicted in week
11 by HouseGuest Ivette who was the only HouseGuest eligible to
Ashlea Evans (born April 24, 1983, from Plantation, Florida). Ashlea
and Janelle were secret partners, being ex-roommates. She was the first
HouseGuest evicted in week two by a vote of 9-2.
Beau Beasley (born December 11, 1979) from Pembroke Pines, Florida.
Beau and Ivette were secret partners, being former co-workers. Beau
finished in sixth place when he was evicted in week 10 by a vote of
Eric "Cappy" Littmann (born April 29, 1969, in Boston,
Massachusetts) was known as "Cappy" by his alliance. Eric and
Maggie were secret partners, as Eric worked as a firefighter with Maggie's
boyfriend. He was evicted in week four by a vote of 5-4.
Howie Gordon (born January 7, 1971, in Chicago, Illinois) who called
himself "Jedi Howie" or "Hurricane Howie". Howie and
Rachel were secret partners, being best friends. Howie finished in fifth
place, being evicted in week 10 (a double eviction week) by a vote of 2-1.
Howie was selected to return in 2006 as a contestant on Big Brother: All
Ivette Corredero born in 1980 and from Miami, Florida. She is of Cuban
and Dominican descent. She is the first openly lesbian contestant in Big
Brother history. Ivette and Beau were secret partners, being former
co-workers. Ivette made it to the final two, where she lost to Maggie in
the final vote by a margin of 4-3, winning the second place $50,000 prize.
She became infamous for her remarks regarding Muslim HouseGuest Kaysar,
reportedly calling him a "sand nigger" and a "fake
Muslim." The comments were not broadcast. Big Brother producer,
Arnold Shapiro, said: "I wouldn't want my name on a show that was
having those kinds of things spoken."
James Rhine (born December 6, 1975 in Miami, Florida) was a loss
prevention manager (although he lied about his occupation to the
HouseGuests). James and Sarah were secret partners, as they were dating.
He finished in seventh place when he was evicted in week nine by a vote of
4-0. James returned in 2006 for Big Brother: All Stars, where he finished
seventh once again.
Janelle Pierzina (born January 10, 1980, in Grand Rapids, Minnesota) is
a VIP cocktail waitress from Miami Beach. Janelle and Ashlea were secret
partners, being ex-roommates. She finished third, being evicted in the
final week by Head of Household Ivette, who cast the only vote.
Janelle returned the next year for Big Brother: All Stars, where she
placed third once again. She also won the $25,000 jury prize at the BB7
finale. She returned to host a Power of Veto competition in Big Brother 8,
The Janelle-O-Vision, and was Season 6's representative in a food
competition celebrating 10 years of Big Brother in Season 10.
Jennifer Vasquez (born April 8, 1978) was a Dallas Desperados dancer
and a substitute teacher from Plano, Texas who had just graduated with her
master's in counseling before entering the Big Brother house. Her secret
partner, April, was also in the same sorority at another college during
different years. However, Jennifer and Maggie were closer during their
stay in the Big Brother house. Jennifer was evicted in week 7 by a vote of
5-1 and became the first member of the jury who would later select the
She has now put her acting/modeling career aside to pursue a career in
teaching and counseling in the Dallas metroplex.
Kaysar Ridha (born August 10, 1980, in Baghdad, Iraq) is a graphic
designer from Irvine, California. He was the first Muslim contestant on
the show. Kaysar and Michael were secret partners, being neighbours and
friends. He was first evicted in week five by a vote of 7-1. Dubbed as one
of the "most popular contestants ever" on Big Brother, he was
voted back into the house after 82% of voters in an "America's
Choice" poll selected him over Eric and Michael to return.
However, Kaysar was evicted again just two weeks later (the same week
he returned to the house), by a vote of 7-0.
He returned for Big Brother 7: All-Stars in 2006.
Maggie Ausburn (born August 14, 1978, in Sonoma County, California) is
an ER nurse from Las Vegas, Nevada. Maggie and Eric were secret partners,
being friends. Maggie was voted as the champion of the show on Day 80,
when the jury voted 4-3 to award her the $500,000 prize over Ivette.
Michael Donnellan (born November 5, 1976, in Paris, France) is an
artist based in Orange County, California. Michael and Kaysar were secret
partners, being neighbors and friends. He had a brief love affair with
Janelle on the show causing her to break up with her boyfriend back home
on national television. He was evicted in week three by a vote of
Rachel Plencner (Born November 29, 1971) is a computer technician and
horse breeder from Parker, Colorado. Rachel and Howie were secret
partners, being best friends. She was evicted in week 8 (another double
eviction week) by a vote of 5-0.
Sarah Hrejsa (born July 24, 1982) and from Stickney, Illinois. Sarah
was the replacement secret partner of her boyfriend James after his
original secret partner backed out. She was voted out in week five by a
vote of 6-1.
- All 14 HouseGuests entered the Big Brother house.
- A majority alliance began to form and 4 people ended up as
outcasts with no attachments: Ashlea, Michael, Janelle and
- Rachel nominated Ashlea because she did not get to know her
well, and Kaysar for being introverted and not interacting
with all the HouseGuests.
- On Day 12, Ashlea was the first contestant evicted in a 9-2
- HoH: On Day 1, Rachel won the game "Wipe
Out" by being the last one aboard a giant surfboard in a
two hour endurance competition.
- Food: On Day 1, April, Howie, James, Janelle, Maggie,
Rachel and Sarah won the food competition "Wipe
- POV: On Day 7, Rachel won the POV in the competition
"Rec-Tangled". Rachel chose not to use the POV.
- Eric, as a member of the majority alliance, nominated two
more of the outcasts: Janelle and Michael.
- On Day 19, and after a fight between Eric and Michael, the
house decided to evict Michael in a 9-1 vote.
- HoH: On Day 12, Eric won the HoH competition
"Fast & Easy".
- Food: On Day 13, all the contestants competed for
various food items in "Snack Shack from Hell".
- POV: On Day 14, James won the POV in the competition
"High & Dry". James chose not to use the POV.
- Desperate for allies, Kaysar first recruited the person he
had been becoming close friends with in the house, Janelle.
- He then lured two sets of secret partners (Rachel &
Howie and James & Sarah) away from the dominant alliance,
forming a group he called the "Sovereign Six".
- The Friendship alliance consisted of Eric, Maggie, Ivette,
Beau, April and Jennifer.
- Kaysar nominated Maggie and James.
- The Sovereign Six worked so that James would win the POV,
which he did, and used the power on himself. Kaysar replaced
James with Eric, Maggie's secret partner.
- On Day 26, Eric, the leader of the Friendship, was evicted
in a close 5-4 vote. The other members of the Friendship (Ivette,
April, Beau, Jennifer) voted to evict Maggie so he could stay.
- HoH: On Day 16, Kaysar won the HoH competition
- Food: On Day 20, nobody won the food competition
"Will Spell 4 Food" as the board landed on the PB&J
- POV: On Day 14, James won the POV in the competition
"Knight Moves". James used the POV on himself.
- Maggie nominated James and Kaysar, in revenge for evicting
- Sarah won the POV, and used it on her secret partner, James,
forcing Maggie to replace him with Janelle.
- On Day 33, Kaysar, the leader of the Sovereign Six, was
evicted in a 7-1 vote.
- HoH: On Day 26, Maggie won the HoH competition
- Food: On Day 27, everybody won the food competition
- POV: On Day 28, Sarah won the POV in the competition
"Couch Potato". Sarah used the POV on her secret
- Luxury: On Day 29, Rachel, Jennifer, and Sarah all
won a movie night in the luxury competition "Big Brother
Movie Marquee". They watched a special screening of Four
- The remaining HouseGuests learn that a previously evicted
HouseGuest will return by a viewer vote.
- Maggie was able to convince Howie (against his partner
Rachel's better judgment) that James and Sarah were betraying
their alliance and were immediate threats to everybody in the
- Howie nominated James and Sarah.
- James won the POV and used it on himself, forcing Howie to
replace him with Ivette.
- On Day 40, Sarah was evicted in a 6-1 vote. Her partner,
James, voted to keep her.
- HoH: On Day 33, Howie won the HoH competition
- Food: On Day 34, Howie, James, Jennifer, Rachel and
Sarah won the food competition "Conveyor Belch".
- POV: On Day 35, James won the POV in the competition
"A Lotta Pinata". James used the POV on himself.
- Julie Chen announced that Kaysar won the public vote and
would return to the house, after living in sequester.
- Jennifer, as HoH, promised that she would nominate two of
her own alliance members in order to backdoor James.
- Jennifer ended up nominating Janelle and Rachel.
- Rachel won the POV and used it on herself, forcing Jennifer
to replace her with Kaysar.
- Howie accused April pulling the strings in her alliance.
- On Day 47, Kaysar was, again, evicted from the house by a
vote of 7-0.
- HoH: On Days 40-41, Jennifer won the HoH competition
"Pressure Cooker" (in which the HouseGuests had to
stand and press a button). Beau, Janelle, and April all won
prizes during the competition. It was a record-breaking
endurance competition, lasting 14 hours until Jennifer won HoH.
All competing HouseGuests lasted at least six hours.
- POV: On Day 42, Rachel won the POV in the competition
"Coast for the Most". Rachel used the POV on
- Julie Chen announced that this week would be a double
eviction week. Meaning that less than 48 hours after the live
Thursday night broadcast, another HouseGuest would be evicted.
- As part of the double-eviction week twist, Janelle had to
make her nominations on the live show minutes after winning
HoH. She chose Jennifer because she broke her promise to
Kaysar, and Maggie, the figurehead of the Friendship.
- Janelle used the PoV on Maggie and put up Ivette, thinking
that Jennifer, her target, would more likely be evicted over
Ivette than Maggie.
- On Day 49, Jennifer was evicted by a vote of 5-1, and became
the first jury member. April, her partner, was the only one
that voted to keep her.
- After winning the accelerated week's HoH, Beau nominated
Howie and Rachel, who were secret partners.
- On Day 54, Rachel was evicted unanimously and became the
- HoH: On Day 47, Janelle won the HoH competition
"Face the Facts".
- POV: On Day 48, Janelle also won the POV in the
competition "Goal for It". Janelle used the POV on
- HoH: As part of a Double Eviction week, on Day 48,
Beau won the HoH competition "On the House".
- POV: On Day 50, James won the POV in the competition
"Get Your Pairings Straight". James chose not to use
- April nominated Howie and Janelle, but as pawns to get James
- After winning the veto, April used the POV on Janelle, and
replacing her with James.
- On Day 61, James was evicted by a vote of 4-0, and became
the third juror.
- HoH: On Day 54, April won the HoH competition
- POV: On Day 56, April also won the POV in the
competition "Playing Dirty". April used the POV on
- In an America's Choice poll, Janelle received a phone call
from former HouseGuest Michael. The Friendship alliance were
angry with America's choice, with April calling viewers
"pieces of shit". April also accused the producers
of rigging the vote.
- Julie Chen announced that there would be another double
- Howie's HoH status would only last 48 hours, and nominated
the last "secret" pair in the house, Ivette and
- Maggie chose not to use the Veto.
- On Day 62, Beau was evicted by a vote of 3-0, becoming the
- After winning the second HoH competition of that week,
Ivette nominated Howie and Janelle.
- Janelle used the Veto on herself. Ivette nominated April as
- On Day 68, Ivette evicted Howie after a 1-1 tie vote. He
became the fifth jury member.
- HoH: "Playing it Straight"; the houseguests
rolled two bowling balls each down a narrow lane. The closer
the ball got to the 10-point ring, the more points gained, but
the section nearest to the ring was worth zero points. With a
score of 12 points, Howie became the first person to win HoH
twice in the season.
- POV: On Day 62, Maggie won the POV in the competition
"Roll Me a Veto". Maggie did not use the POV.
- HoH: "Magnetic Attraction"; Julie asked
eight questions based on the form every contestant filled out
before entering the house. The houseguests had to guess which
person in a secret partner pair gave the answer. Maggie and
Ivette both had 7 points. Maggie threw the tiebreaker, leaving
Ivette as Head of Household.
- POV: "Morph-O-Matic"; Morphs of the
original 14 houseguests' faces appeared on a screen. The
players had to correctly identify which three contestants were
in each face. Janelle had the shortest time and won the Veto.
- Janelle nominated Ivette and Maggie.
- Ivette used the POV on herself, forcing April to be
- On Day 73, April was evicted by a vote of 1-0, becoming the
- HoH: "Before or After"; Questions were
asked concerning whether an event during the season happened
before or after another event. With a perfect score of 7
points, Janelle became Head of Household for the second time.
- POV: On Day 70, Ivette won the POV in the competition
"The Missing Link". Ivette used the POV on herself.
- Since there were only three HouseGuests left in the house,
Janelle and Maggie were automatically nominated.
- Ivette was told earlier by her alliance that if she didn't
vote to evict Janelle, they would not vote for her to win the
- On Day 76, Janelle was evicted by a vote of 1-0, becoming
the seventh and final juror.
- HoH Part I: On Day 73, Ivette won round one of three
in the HoH competition "The Key to Being Safe". This
win allowed Ivette to compete in the final round. Ivette also
won a prize.
- HoH Part II: On Day 74, Janelle won round two of
three in the HoH competition "Pad-Locked". This win
advanced Janelle to compete in the final round.
- HoH Part III: On Day 76, Ivette won the HoH
competition "Jury Statements" and became the final
Head of Household.